Code of Conduct & Anti-Harassment Policy
The Double Union (DU) community is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all Double Union sponsored spaces, including our blog, mailing lists, and chat, as well as any other spaces that Double Union hosts, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the Double Union board.
Some Double Union-sponsored spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect other DU members or other vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
The Double Union community prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The Double Union board will not act on complaints regarding:
- "Reverse" -isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia" (because these things don’t exist)
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice concepts
- Communicating in a “tone” you don’t find positive enough
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of the Double Union community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please submit a report here. You may report harassment anonymously, or you can choose to include your contact information if you would like Double Union to follow up with you for further investigation or to communicate actions that have been taken.
Reports will be handled by Double Union’s board of directors. If the person who is harassing you is on the board, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. In this situation, you may also reach out to an individual board member instead of submitting a report on the form, or have a friend submit your report. Otherwise, please do not reach out to private email addresses or social media accounts for reporting harassment.
We will respond within 3 weeks of your report, and sooner if at all possible. We reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith.
This code of conduct applies to Double Union sponsored spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of the DU community outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Double Union community members seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The board reserves the right to exclude people from the DU community based on their past behavior, including behavior outside DU spaces and behavior towards people who are not in the DU community.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of DU members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, Double Union may take any action they deem appropriate, including expulsion from all Double Union spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other DU members or the general public.